Image by mauitime
When you get into a routine of habitual eating it can become a bit boring when you are eating the same foods day in day out. So it makes a refreshing change when foods come along that you may have not tried or may not even heard of.
So whilst reading a well-known tabloid newspaper that we have delivered in this country they had a small piece talking about these particular new super foods.
So I thought people may be interested in what they were I certainly haven’t heard of any of them before.
So here they are.
1. Black Rice, I have heard of brown rice, which is better for you than white rice as it contains more fibre. Here are the benefits of black rice, it supposedly has more antioxidants than blueberries contain, as well as more fibre and high levels of vitamins E.
In various studies they found that it helps to protect your arteries, as well as protecting your DNA from damage, which may in turn stop cancer. Looking at a picture of black rice the grain does look a lot longer than normal rice.
So this could be a new food that you could add to your shopping basket.
2. Lychees, If I was to describe these, they look like small satsuma’s with small lumps on the outside a bit like Kiwi fruit except more pronounced. The health benefits of this particular super food are they are high in a particular thing called polyphenols which could help prevent the onset of cancer.
They have fantastic weight loss properties each one is about 10 calories each, and they have high levels of vitamin C compared to an orange.
As well as this they have high levels of potassium and phosphorus so they are good heart foods.
3. Purple Asparagus, this particular super food is great news for people with blood sugar problems, i.e. diabetics, and it could also help people who have been diagnosed with pre-diabetes. One serving of this contains 60 percent of our annual daily intake of folate.
This can help to keep down levels of amino acids which in turn can lead to heart disease or stroke.
4. Aronia Berries, If you saw some of these in a supermarket you might be mistaken for thinking that they look like blueberries, however they have far more benefits than their similar looking counterparts.
These berries have three times the amount of antioxidants that mop up free radicals in our bodies which in turn over time can cause cell damage. They have the following high levels of vitamins C and B, as well as folic acid. And they are now being grown in this country in Wales .
5. White Chia Seeds, Apparently the plant whom these come from produces both black and white seeds, if you have two tablespoons full of these then you will be eating high levels of potassium as well as calcium and omega three facts.
They have high water absorbency properties, which will dampen your digestion and make you feel full for a long period of time.
Are there any particular foods that you eat that you would class as super foods? I have been eating more fruit recently with a more wide variety than before. I used to eat pears, bananas, and oranges and apples occasionally.
But decided to try some different types of fruit I recently have tried Kiwi fruit, mangoes, and dried apricots and like them all.
Do you have a particular list of fruits or super foods that you eat? It’s always nice to get a different perspectives from other people it makes eating a bit more interesting and fun. I am discovering that there are lots of foods that I don’t even know existed how about you?